Re: RE: rear brake question

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 00:08:15 EDT

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Humidity causes this (along with just plain old water and rust). The rear
> brake drums stick to the pads and/or there's some rust on the backing plate
> - see it quite often on the Dakota/Durango's at work. Also can be caused by
> drums that were not quite "true" out of the box...this is why you always
> check them before installing them.
>
> Easy fix: turn the drums no more than .010" and go from there. This will
> take only a very small amount of material off of the drums. Go from there
> but while the drums are off, inspect the hardware (springs and all linkage)
> to make sure that nothing is either corroded, rusted, or binding up.
>
> - Bernd

I don't think humidity is the cause of this. i expect that they'll grab
hard the first stop after a rain, but this is after every time i stop in
reverse. The drums are the same ones i've had on for 60k now as well, i
ended up not changing them at all when i looked at them.

I honestly think it's a spring, not something that turning the drums
will fix. I find it hard that to believe that they went out of round
overnight, when i'm not getting any of the other telltale symptoms of an
out of round drum.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L