Re: Rear end life, those that tow...

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 11:49:41 EDT

> >My 8.25 went out on my 99 at about 58k. And i have hardly done
> >anything that would wear out the rear diff.
>
> Ok, just curious... how often are all of you changing your diff
> fluid and what type of fluid are you using?

Good question. I followed the FSM: i didn't change the oil. Some
of the miles were short distance driving, but the better part of the
58k were highway miles at trips greater than 20 minutes.

>From what others have told me, mopar had a few years there where
they were getting sloppy on rear end setups for the Dakota.

In my case, after i had it rebuilt (under warranty) the rear is
quieter than it was when i bought it, which does suggest that it was
setup wrong.

What failed was both the ring & pinion and the bearings.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318
1999 Dakota Ext Cab, 2WD