Re: Rear end life, those that tow...

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 12:16:41 EDT

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:52:42 -0400, mopar@ehuffy.com (Eric Huff)
wrote:
>> >My 8.25 went out on my 99 at about 58k. And i have hardly done
>> >anything that would wear out the rear diff.
>>
>> Ok, just curious... how often are all of you changing your diff
>> fluid and what type of fluid are you using?
>
>Good question. I followed the FSM: i didn't change the oil. Some
>of the miles were short distance driving, but the better part of the
>58k were highway miles at trips greater than 20 minutes.
>
>From what others have told me, mopar had a few years there where
>they were getting sloppy on rear end setups for the Dakota.
>
>In my case, after i had it rebuilt (under warranty) the rear is
>quieter than it was when i bought it, which does suggest that it was
>setup wrong.

Sounds that way.

I'm wondering about the people who were towing, though, as they should
technically use schedule "B" which involves changing the diff fluid
every 12,000 miles.

I've been running on "B" all along because the recommendation of 7500
miles between oil changes just doesn't sit right with me. It turned
out to be a good choice for me anyway -- within a year I was driving
mostly short trips and within another 6 months I was towing a boat
trailer.

-Bill