Re: Re: intermittent coolant leak?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 00:37:13 EDT

On Jun 17, 2004, at 21:33, Bill Day wrote:

> Its possible that the off balnace from your air pump may have
> shortened the
> life of the water pump its self.

the air pump and the power steering pump are on the same side of the
engine, so there was no missing balance. the water pump pulley is now
being pulled even harder to the left of the truck.

> Check the weap hole for moisture,

someone refresh my memory on the weep hole?

> they are cheap enough though a little work is involved...

would make an interesting weekend to do a waterpump, timing set, valve
cover gaskets and an oil pan gasket and probably take care of all my
wet block problems.

> If you want to make it easy/ier on yourself, my father had found a kit
> someplace(I dont know he told me about it) for his 84 RamCharger(Think
> it
> was 84) that was underdrive pullies with the addition of a belt
> tensionor
> for around $175 and came with 2 serpentine belts(a spare).

yeah, I suppose it wouldn't be too big of a deal to replace the many
belts with a serp, but I like many belts better, especially on an old
vehicle. Granted it takes an act of God to make them let go, but if my
alt locks up, I can pull a couple belts and limp away with a water pump
and power steering. Same if the PS or air pump let go. With a serp
you don't have the option of pulling a belt and limping.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 4x4 360                   98 Dakota CC 4x4 318