Re: Re: New Dodges

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 04:00:27 EDT

On Jun 18, 2004, at 17:22, DAKSY wrote:

> I drilled THOUGH with a TiN coated drill just a tad smaller than the
> minor
> thread diameter...

Thanks, Bob - that's kinda the sort of lines I was thinking along. I
haven't looked for a M17 'coil kit yet though, so I'm not sure how
favorably that might compare to an hour of shop time. I don't know if
I'm perfectly-enough centered to go to the minor thread size bit and
then retap the existing threads. I'd expect that would be about a $30
mistake to make between bit and tap, versus probably $45 or so for the
bit + tap + helocoil kit to go that route.

> the thread peeled right out easily once all the "meat" was
> gone...'Course I
> buggered the remaining
> A-arm threads pretty badly, so I went the HeliCoil route...
> I can re-do the math to calculate what drill I used if ya need the
> numbers...

Math works, so would dial calipers on a proper-size bolt. =)

That'd be quick enough to try that I'll probably do that. Measure the
inside thread diameter on my remaining bolt, go to the next 1/64
smaller size, and see where that leaves me. Maybe then I could get
away trying to chase the threads with the other bolt, if I put a couple
nice sharp notches in it..... I don't see that being able to start
though, so maybe I'll see what an M17 tap goes for. hmmmm....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 4x4 360                   98 Dakota CC 4x4 318