Re: Re: intermittent coolant leak?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 03:43:14 EDT

On Jun 19, 2004, at 18:23, Bill Day wrote:

> Most waterpumps on v6/v8s have a tiny hole on the back/bottom near the
> pumps
> bearing/seal setup once the bearing/seal setup begins to wear moisture
> willd
> rip from this tiny hole(about 1/8 to 3/16" dia. suaully). That is
> the
> first sign of the pump failing, next sound you would probably hear is
> a belt
> squaling like s stuck pig... no coolant flow, siezed pump.

sounds like I've got a waterpump job in my very near future, then.
hopefully it doesn't seize on me before I get the front shocks back in
the Dak.... (I picked up just a bit of squeal again today, even after
dealing with belt presence and tensions the other day) it's been a
nice daily driver for a couple three days now though -- and my friends
not only love the old-schoolness, but also the far larger back seat =)

sigh.....

it would be pretty stupid to go in after the water pump and not do the
timing chain while I'm at it, wouldn't it? or am I misremembering how
the front of the engine is assembled?

and if I pull the timing chain cover, since I think I've got a leaking
oil pan gasket, if I'm remembering right it would make sense to do that
at the same time, too, I'd think. tell me I'm remembering wrong =)

<whine> oh, how I *hate* not having a garage. this would be such
simple work if I could just take a week to do it! </whine>

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
mobile.612.618.4652   home.585.935.7129   fax.360.364.3930