Re: New 'Poster' and Truck

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 17:07:13 EDT

"Andrew" <showwork@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I just got a 93 v-6 Dakota for a very good price ($1.). It is my first
> Chrysler product. (First post here too.) I have read time and again
> about the Chrysler mini-van transmissions, a friend replaced 7 of them
> under warranty. I now wonder if I too, am destined to have transmission
> problems, if I keep my Dakota. I can not detect any problems with the
> truck save for needing new shocks at 78K. And it was painted by the
> dealer under warranty about 2-3 years ago. It's a nice looking very
> clean vehicle. My guess is many here would know about how well the
> tranny stands up. Which tranny unit mine has, I don't know yet.
> Any opinion on the tranny is welcome. Whether a trip to the shop for
> preventive maintenance is a good idea or just my usual change of fluids
> when I get a new vehicle. I am speculating on whether towing a
> small horse trailer(under 4 thousand lbs total) 4-5 times a year, an
> hour or two in distance, is a good idea or just plain dumb, with this
> truck.

Welcome Andrew, and congratulations on your new (to you) truck!

The transmission behind the V6 is a decent transmission and its life largely
depends on your driving style. If it's got 78k on it already and the trans
is fine, you'll probably have to do normal maintenenence to it and be done
with it if you drive normal. I don't know about towing with it, but 4000
pounds might be a little excessive for any dak to handle.

As far as shocks go, I run the Monroe Reflex shocks and love them. They're
firm but not too harsh, and have held up pretty well on my lowered truck for
the past year.

Is your truck 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L