Re: New 'Poster' and Truck No.2

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 08:05:29 EDT

Kyle Vanditmars wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:48:39 -0400, Andrew wrote:
>

>> To answer a few questions; Its a 2x and an automatic. I will look
>>tomorrow for the rear end gearing. How do I determine which tranny it
>>is?
>

> It will be the A-500 automatic transmission. Basically an A-904 with an
> overdrive unit bolted to it. It's beefy enough for everyday use, but
> Terrible Tom will likely say otherwise - but he thinks his truck should go
> underwater, too. ;D

The A-500 is a pile of steaming planetary gears in my opinion :-P

If your idea of "every day use" constitutes grocery getting or hauling
loads of styrafoam packing peanuts - you are fine with an A-500
hehehhehe. The weakest point is the over drive unit. That is what
they are known for having problems with. And every freakin time I've
ever blown an A-500 its been because of the OD unit. CHANGE FLUID
REGULARLY! Thats what I have to say.

Oh yeah - and don't drive like I do.

>> How is the V-6, does it stand up well? I have only opened the hood
>>once, it was not a clean place, I plan to fix that, what should I look
>>for? Any common leaks to look for?

The Magnum V6 engines are tough little motors that usually get no
respect from the V8 guys. Witha few mods you can get some good power
out of them. Super chargers can be adapted very easily too.

>> At Edmonds Automotive i couldn't find enough details in the spec's to
>>satisfy me. Where else is a good place for Info? I am still looking at
>>list's home page.
>>

> http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/3_9v6.htm This is for the 3.9 V6
> in the '94 Ram, but it's the same engine as the Dakota.

Somewhere around here I do have a lot of info - I'll scrape together
what I have when I get home from work later today.

***** Countdown to 2004 DML BBQ (28) Days Left! *****

Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/