Re: New 'Poster' and Truck No.2

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Tue Jun 22 2004 - 23:33:12 EDT

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:48:39 -0400, Andrew wrote:

> To answer a few questions; Its a 2x and an automatic. I will look
> tomorrow for the rear end gearing. How do I determine which tranny it
> is?

It will be the A-500 automatic transmission. Basically an A-904 with an
overdrive unit bolted to it. It's beefy enough for everyday use, but
Terrible Tom will likely say otherwise - but he thinks his truck should go
underwater, too. ;D

> How is the V-6, does it stand up well? I have only opened the hood
> once, it was not a clean place, I plan to fix that, what should I look
> for? Any common leaks to look for?

If it consumes quite a bit of oil and it's not leaking externally, it's
probably the so-called belly-pan gasket. This seals between the intake
manifold plenum and the lifter valley.

> Someone wrote about Hughes Engines, they have some v-6 parts, what
> other places have V-6 parts.

you mean v-6 performance goodies? There's Hughes of course. Also, JBA
and Gibson make headers. You can get the JBA's through
www.truckperformance.com for sure, and likely other retailers. I don't
know who sells the Gibson headers, and I'm pretty sure they're for the '96
and up trucks without EGR. I'll save Bill White the trouble and mention
KRC Performance (krcperformance.com) they have some stuff for the V-6
(throttle bodies, roller rocker-arms, etc.)

> At Edmonds Automotive i couldn't find enough details in the spec's to
> satisfy me. Where else is a good place for Info? I am still looking at
> list's home page.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/3_9v6.htm This is for the 3.9 V6
in the '94 Ram, but it's the same engine as the Dakota.