RE: 4.7L tapping @ start up

From: Al Figols (albatross32672@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 09:51:13 EDT

 Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on the digest
version so obviously it takes me a while to respond to
messages.
 The problem definitely isn't injector related. The
oil filter brand MAY be a possibility, BUT I've always
used several different brands of
filters(Fram,Purolator,Wix,STP included). I've done
this since it was new and the tapping has only
occurred in the last 10K miles. I can't see how the
filter brand would become a problem this late in the
engines life. All of the filters I use at least meet
OEM specs so they should be good enough. If they were
to cause engine damage then the filter manufacturer
should be liable(as long as the correct filter for the
application was used).
 I don't see any evidence of a leaking exhaust
manifold and the sound is a lot louder than any
exhaust manifold leak I've ever heard. It really
sounds like a bad tappet.
 My question now is.....does the 4.7L have hydraulic
tappets or solid tappets? Could there be anything
else in the valve train of these engines that would
sound the same? Should I even be concerned about it
or is this just another odd noise that I'll have to
learn to live with with this truck? Keep in mind(for
those that don't know)that the 4.7L is the overhead
cam engine and is very different from the 5.9 and 3.9
engines which most, I would assume, are more familiar
with.
Thanks again,
Al