Dak Generations (was Cat converter)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 03:33:51 EDT

Eric Huff wrote:
>>OBD-II (Gen-III but some '96 models)
>

> Ok, at the risk of showing ignorance, what officially are the years
> for the different generations? I did a search, but found overlap in
> what some called gen IV and others Gen III.
>
> Thanks,
> eric

Gen I = 1987-1990
Gen II = 1991-1996
Gen III = 1997-2004
Gen IV = 2005

While this is the more accepted generation division, it's probably more
accurate to say that:

1987-1996 = Gen I
1997 - 2004 = Gen II

And the new 2005 dak being the 3rd generation.

I, follow the first set of generation divisions. I call my 1989 Dakotas
Gen I trucks and I consider 91-96 Gen II Daks, not Gen I. The reason
most people consider that the generations changed in 1991, was because
Dodge made the engine compartment longer to make installing the 318 V8,
possible without any fitment issues. (Gen I daks were just slightly too
short in engine bay length to allow for V8's to be installed without
fan/radiator modifications.

***** Countdown to 2004 DML BBQ (20) Days Left! *****

Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/