Re: re:Kenne Bell Superchargers for the 318

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 11:06:31 EDT

"Brett Forehand" <brett4hand@hotmail.com> wrote:

: Cory,
: I've been reading about the Kenne Bell for years, but have seen very few
: installed on a vehicle. So, I don't have any "real" experience to relate.
: That being said, the positive things that I have read about the KB are
: directly related to the instant torque that is provided at lower rpm's.
: Most people describe it as making a small block feel like a big block.
: Good, old fashioned tire shredding torque! It should make for a lot of fun
: on a street car/truck.

: I think the reason most people avoid them is that there is SO much stuff out
: there for the centrifugal superchargers, that it's just easier (and cheaper)
: to go with a centrifugal unit. I have yet to see anyone say anything about
: the fact that with the Kenne Bell, you get around having to buy a
: performance intake manifold. Most guys running a centrifugal are going to
: step up the intake to an M1, or at least a ported stocker. There's some
: money involved there, and to me, makes the Kenne Bell a little closer in
: total cost compared to a centrifugal. I also believe that the racers prefer
: to use the centrifugal for the higher rpm pulls they are capable of. It
: makes it easier to launch, too, since the centrifugal boost comes on
: gradually at low rpm's and peaks at high rpm's. Plus, simple pulley swaps
: can up the boost easily.

: The Kenne Bell does however, seem like an excellent street supercharger to
: me. Just my 2 cents!

   That sounds like a fair assessment. I think the major reason you
don't see more Kenne Bell's is the cost. An extra 2 grand is a lot of
money, which I think most people probably aren't going to spring for.
A lesser issue might be the torque which you discussed. Centrifugal
blowers (and turbochargers too, for that matter) have something of a
"bad rap" in comparison to the screw style because it takes some extra
RPM before they build comprable boost. However, in a truck, this isn't
as important, IMHO, and can actually be an advantage. With so little
weight over the rear wheels, traction can be a problem with a stock
motor, let alone after you bolt on a blower. The centrifugal gives
you a little extra time to hook before the motor comes in with both
barrels.

   The screw type sure does look nice though, especially the GM style
(6-71, et. al.) coming up through a hood. :-)

  From a strictly dragstrip performance point of view, the case
could probably be made that a centrifugal is better for a pickup
truck, whereas a roots/screw style might benefit a vehicle
with a weight distribution closer to 50/50.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'