Re: Webcam?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 13:01:08 EDT

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:04:52 -0400, dml@bleazard.net ("Jason
Bleazard") wrote:
>Are you thinking of actually trying to pull this off, or is this just a
>theoretical exercise? If you're thinking of actually trying it, I'll make
>a small suggestion... START SLOWLY (one computer, one router), then see if
>it works when driving the truck around. Then try adding a repeater to
>increase the range. Then build up from there.
>
>If you go ahead and install a network of repeaters and take a truck down
>to the falls to see if it works, I can almost guarantee that it won't,
>then you'll be stuck with a debugging nightmare.

Agreed. It should also be a "self-healing mesh" network between the
trucks. All trucks could have little magnet mount omnidirectional
antennas on board. (The excess gear could just be sold on ebay
afterwards..)

>That said, it does sound like a pretty cool idea. If I could get more
>time off work, I'd say let's work on it during the week before everyone
>else shows up.

Well, maybe some day I'll make it out there for the bbq and we could
give it a go. I think it'd be a way cool project. One of the kinds
that I often read about on the web and think "Wow, that's pretty damn
cool!" :-)

>As long as we're spending theoretical money we don't have, I like the idea
>of putting the repeaters up on weather balloons to increase their range
>:-).

You know, as crazy of an idea as that may sound, it could actually
work. Since it's only short term. Why not just anchor the balloon to
the ground and run the power for the repeater up that line? (Or just
use an extension cord to hold it down... heh)