Re: stuck wheel

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 16:05:45 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Jul 12, 2004, at 23:42, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
:> This happened to me with my '92 Ram when trying to take
:> the stock wheels off one spring to put the mudders on. I used a
:> BFH (big friggin' hammer) on the tire when kicking it wasn't doing
:> the trick. From that point on, I always made sure to put some
:> anti-sieze on the hub prior to installing the winter wheels
:> and I have not had a problem with sticking since.

: y'know what's funny? there was some silver goop behind the wheel when
: I finally got it off. there's really only one thing that could be -
: so: don't *count* on anti-seize =)

   Might still be a problem if they were left on for a long time,
but my wheels come off every 6 months and the anti-sieze seems to
be sufficient. The one time my wheels got stuck was after I
had swapped them out for the mudders, so they had gotten stuck
in only 6 months or less.

: by the way - I'll probably have the chance to join Adam in showing up
: quite early. would you mind if I took advantage of your welder and
: sawzall for a couple days? I have a project in mind....

   Sure, as long as ya don't break 'em. ;-) Actually, if you plan
to use the sawzall, you might want to bring some blades appropriate
to the material you intend to cut, as I think I recently bent up my
last one and haven't gotten around to picking up some more yet.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'