Re: Guahhhh!

From: mike-lists@tepidcola.com
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 01:36:55 EDT

In article <40F75F06.3050505@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:

> ewwwwwww dude - you didn't read my page on Christine about this
> situation did ya? :-(
>
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/christine/buildup/

I'll check that out - but I don't recall the story so probably not.

I do note one thing, however: my dreams of making locking hubs for this IFS are
shot to hell. There's simply not enough room in there, and nothing inside
that's even close that would allow the manufactured parts to be easilly
machined and modified. Yet another reason to go with a real axle (that I just
paid for 1/4 of to get my wrecked IFS back on the road. frustration!!!)

> The spindle nut that threads onto teh end of the halfshaft - is critical
> for keeping that wheel bearing and hub together. Especially on an older
> bearing/hub assembly as we both found out. (that was my origial hub on
> christine that failed - the passenger side was a year old.

both of mine had been original. I would bought both for just that reason if I
didn't want to get rid of both. Mine are $155! if I had front ABS, I could
add another $50 to that!

> I'm willing to bet it was your halfshaft that was origially the cause.
> I believe this because removing it stopped your vibration. I'm suprised
> the hub held up at 55MPH at all, with the shaft out.

well I certainly hope you're wrong, 'cause I don't want to get it put together
and still have a vibe, and have to track down another damn part - one that I'd
bet won't be in stock.....

If that comes to be the case, I think I'll just try hacking the CV apart so I
can have the spindle nut in place without the shot shaft spinning and shaking
and taking out my bearings. I'll be very surprised if I don't see that end of
the axle leaking soon due to a roasted seal....

I also forgot to mention originally that I almost lost the wheel anyway - none
of my lugnuts were tight when I got here thanks to the severe vibration down
there. that's something that I never even considered as a possible problem
until I found I didn't need a wrench to take off my tire.

> I'm just glad you didn't lose control and wreck. The possible carnage
> factor of loosing a wheel at 55 MPH is not pretty.

that woulda been quite a gouge in the pavement!

In addition to lots of body damage at the rear of the wheel well, and what I
now need anyway, I'd expect to loose the tire, maybe the rim, both A arms, the
knuckle, the shock, and possibly tweak the frame depending on how good the
mounting of the A arms is.... I suppose after the A arms failed, the tortion
bar and maybe that mounting crossmember, and whatever of the frame/ radiator
support would then be holding up the front of the truck with the suspension out
of the way.....

remind me not to find that out first hand! sounds messy.

> Someone out there
> must like us Dodge Boys! LOL Our guardian angels probably have high
> blood pressure and chronic migranes. LOL

my Dodge is starting to give ME high BP and migranes.....

--
Mike, dreams of SAS shot to hell
c'mon job, so I can CTD the hell outta here!