Re: Recommendation Needed

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 21:21:40 EDT

On 7/18/04 8:01 PM, in article BD208723.7531%blkwidow1@primary.net, ""Jon N.
Benignus"" <blkwidow1@primary.net> wrote:

>> The extra cylinder pressure created by
>>> properly sealing valves and seals may start reaking havok on those old
>>> rings...
> New valve seals would have nothing to do with raising compression. It would
> only prevent oil from getting past the valve stems.
>
> Gary, try doing a "wet" compression check on the low pressure cylinders. If
> the pressure comes up a bunch, then you are looking at rings. If the
> comprssion comes up only 5 or so psi, you are looking at bad valves due to a
> poor head rebuild. Just replace the heads in that case.
> You may also have a bad head gasket causing the compression to be down if
> they are adjacent cylinders.
>
> Jon
> STL MO

Ok, if I'm just doing the seals, I still gotta remove the heads so I don't
droop a valve into the block. Am I correct??

I'll be the first to say that this rebuild is probably a piss-poor job to
say the least. The more I think about it, another engine is probably a
better solution in the long term.

--
Gary Hedlin
www.garyhedlin.com