Re: New Stereo and speakers are in fairly happy...

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 10:32:45 EDT

""Bill Day"" <billday@consolidated.net> wrote in message

> Got my new JVC KDAR300 head unit and new Infinty 8602i series in all 4
> corners. Started in the back and worked my way front.. The 5x7's I had
> drill 4 brand new holes, couldnt use any of the originals. and I will be
> damned if i only now have 2 screws holding each rear panel, vibrates like
> som bitch... 8-(

Wherever it rattles, stick a lump of silly putty between the panels. It'll
stick in there forever, and will stay pliable enough where it won't rattle
itself. I don't know about the long term effects, but it works great for
the "now." Little pieces of paper or aquarium sealant work great too. If
you use aquarium sealant, just make sure to let it dry completely before you
put the panels back together. I like the sealant best, you can peel it off
if you ever decide you need to and won't melt from the heat.

> Got the front ones in and this is where i turned unhappy.. Only have 2 of
> them holding down the speaker. Looks like removal of that plastic schroud
> in doors and you could just about stuff 6x9's in it. Is there some
after
> market speaker /accessory manufactuer that makes stuff for a situaution
like
> this, a bad fit?

¼" masonite works great for this sort of thing. I've had all 4 speakers in
my truck mounted to that very thing since I put them in 4 years ago. You
just need to use a small nut and bolt set to hold them to the masonite,
otherwise they may vibrate loose over time.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L