Fuel Gauge Problems

From: Derek A - Central IL (da97dakota@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 09:57:41 EDT

Yesterday I was getting back from lunch, and as I went to park at work I heard
 the chime notice that I was low on fuel.... that's funny, I'd just put gas in the
 night before, and punched the trip odo, and had only gone 117 miles... sounds
 fishy.

The gauge goes completely empty. After work I started the truck ('97 Dak SLT
 ClubCab w/3.9) up and after a few seconds of running, the gauge returned
 to normal. This happened at least a half-dozen times on the way home, that
 the gauge would cut out, then back on.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before? How many sensors and
 other crap is tied in with the fuel level signal? Or is it just 3 things - Sending
 unit in tank / wiring / gauge in dash? On the GM vehicles I'm used to working
 on, all it is is 1 grounding wire going to the tank, and the varying resistance on
 the wire is the signal.... a shorted/grounded wire would read 0 and an open
 would peg the gauge full....... are the Dakotas set up the same way?

Does the computer read the fuel level or anything.... anything getting screwed
 up if I drive the truck for a few days before working on it?

Thanks for any assistance!

Derek A