Re: GenII 4WD Hubs...

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 10:46:21 EDT

On Jul 25, 2004, at 20:58, Bill Day wrote:

> Well I think I have a hub going bad on driverside. I guess I'm going
> have to change them. I don't an alignment after swapping hubs do I?

shouldn't need to.

> Also what size socket will I need (I'll bet I don't have it),

I think it's an inch and a quarter... lemme check

yup, that's what my tape measure tells me =) well, really Jon's tape.
I don't remember where I put mine down. I'm always loosing tape
measures.....

I'd also recommend spraying it well with penetrating lube for a few
days before, and using 3/4" drive tools if you have or can afford them.
  I've broken a 1/2" SK breaker bar on mine before.

> Also any suggestion on "whose"
> (AutoZone, Napa, Advance, CarQuest) hubs not to buy?

I know mine was $155 from Advance. it looks like a quality unit. I
also know my other hub was bad (very stiff - I'm sure the bearings are
toast), and that's why I started comparing prices of two hubs, two ball
joints, a knuckle, etc etc to a SAS.

PS - Napa thought they could have my brake parts, but they can't - none
available in the system. Calling boneyards.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife