Re: TB cleaning

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 18:54:44 EDT

"Jay & Dana" <jay&dana@telus.net> wrote:

: I think it's time and I'm going to do it properly and take it right off. My
: question is I know I'm going to take the IAC sensor off for a proper
: cleaning, but do the TPS and MAP sensors have to be taken off and cleaned as
: well? I don't think there is anything in these 2 sensors that have to be
: cleaned, like the IAC sensor, am I correct?

  Correct. The MAP sensor is only connected to the TB via a
vaccum tube - its just a coincidence that it happens to be
hanging on the side of the TB - it could just as well have
been located on the firewall. So, unless you submerged your
truck under water, there shouldn't be anything to clean out
of there (and maybe not even then) ;-)

   As far as the TPS sensor goes, there is a small part of
it which could potentially get gummed up, but that's not
very likely, so this one doesn't have to be cleaned either.

  However, I would still pull both sensors off the throttle
body if you are planning to give it a thorough cleaning,
simply to avoid whatever cleaning solvents you plan to
use from getting into the electrical contacts or inside
the sensors themselves, which might promote corrosion,
shorts or other gremlins.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'