Re: weekend work

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 10:49:24 EDT

<werlax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]
> something I noticed near the end of the project today. When removing one
of
> the lug nuts on the rear I found out that the last person to put my tires
on
> had stripped the bolt. They had ground down the tip of the bolt and
hugely
> cross-threaded the nut getting it back on. I'll have to replace this at
> some point since I only have 5 of the 6 nuts on right now. What's the
> cheapest way to fix this?
[...]

The cheapest/easiest way would be to use an air hammer/sledge and push the
bad stud out of the axle flange. (You'll have to remove the drum to do
this) When you buy another stud/lugnut combo, make sure you get an extra
nut. Push the stud through the hole in the flange and thread the nut onto
it until you can't turn it anymore. Use an impact or a breaker bar to
tighten the nut and pull the stud into the flange. After you're fully
tight, back that nut off and toss it out, the face is probably buggered up.
Replace the drum and wheel, torque to spec. Should be no longer than 15
minutes after the drum is off if you've got airtools.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L