Re: Viper Fan/Saab Switch Followup II

From: Quintin (sauerquint@gci.net)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 02:22:14 EDT

Just a thought, but if you put the sensor on the exit side of the radiator
it would likely turn off once in a while. This would improve efficiency a
bit, I would think.

""Travis Bailey"" <dusterrt@msn.com> wrote in message
:
: I headed into day two with my electric fan setup. I am mainly reporting
: these as no one had any input when I had questions about doing the Saab
two
: speed switch due to it either not working the way they liked or never got
: around to putting it together. All in all I am happy with it so far and
: don't plan on making any changes.
:
: Once again, it's a nice day in the mid or high 70s. Most of the time I've
: been running around with the fan off alltogether. However, once the
engine
: gets good and warmed up low speed pretty much stays on, even on the
highway
: (this is where the in cab kill switch is nice). Just to see how it worked
: drove around in town with it off where my engine temp gets to around (a
: guess) 190-195, and then I let it idle in the drive to get it a little
: warmer. This set off high speed on the switch and obviously the fan. I
: will say the fan performed very well..cooled it quite quickly. Once the
: temp got down to the 180 or so mark it dropped it to low speed where it
just
: stayed on until I shut the truck off.
:
: So in a nutshell: the switch will trigger the fan at 180 (low) and 195
: (high). If engine temp triggers high it will cool until 180 and then it
: will run at low speed until 175 or so. (Mine doesn't get cool enough to
: switch off; my friend mentioned that might not be a bad thing since it's
: probably harder on the fan motor to be cycling on and off all the time
: anyway. Just to be safe I plan on upgrading my alternator sooner or
later.)
:
: When it triggers high it also triggers low so both of my relays are active
: when high speed is on, not just one. As far as if the fan is designed to
: work like this, I don't know. Didn't seem to make a difference during
bench
: testing if the low speed wire got power or not.
:
: Someone had mentioned in a message I found in the archives about the fan
: runs on low when either of the wires are hot and high when both. On mine
at
: least there was a high and a low wire, orange stripe was low and yellow
was
: high. Sending power to both didn't make it run faster. Speaking of bench
: testing, make sure you secure it down somehow, mine really wanted to move
: somewhere other than where I had it laying down! Lol.
:
: Other notes: not sure if I addressed this in my first message but this
fan
: is pretty quiet. Maybe it's just my duals but it seems quieter than the
fan
: in my sister's Intrepid she had. So it is by far a lot quieter than a
stock
: engine driven fan.
:
: That's all for now.
:
: Travis
: '92 Dak 5.2 4x4
:
: Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
: http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
: