Viper Fan/Saab Switch Followup II

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 22:48:36 EDT

I headed into day two with my electric fan setup. I am mainly reporting
these as no one had any input when I had questions about doing the Saab two
speed switch due to it either not working the way they liked or never got
around to putting it together. All in all I am happy with it so far and
don't plan on making any changes.

Once again, it's a nice day in the mid or high 70s. Most of the time I've
been running around with the fan off alltogether. However, once the engine
gets good and warmed up low speed pretty much stays on, even on the highway
(this is where the in cab kill switch is nice). Just to see how it worked I
drove around in town with it off where my engine temp gets to around (a
guess) 190-195, and then I let it idle in the drive to get it a little
warmer. This set off high speed on the switch and obviously the fan. I
will say the fan performed very well..cooled it quite quickly. Once the
temp got down to the 180 or so mark it dropped it to low speed where it just
stayed on until I shut the truck off.

So in a nutshell: the switch will trigger the fan at 180 (low) and 195
(high). If engine temp triggers high it will cool until 180 and then it
will run at low speed until 175 or so. (Mine doesn't get cool enough to
switch off; my friend mentioned that might not be a bad thing since it's
probably harder on the fan motor to be cycling on and off all the time
anyway. Just to be safe I plan on upgrading my alternator sooner or later.)

When it triggers high it also triggers low so both of my relays are active
when high speed is on, not just one. As far as if the fan is designed to
work like this, I don't know. Didn't seem to make a difference during bench
testing if the low speed wire got power or not.

Someone had mentioned in a message I found in the archives about the fan
runs on low when either of the wires are hot and high when both. On mine at
least there was a high and a low wire, orange stripe was low and yellow was
high. Sending power to both didn't make it run faster. Speaking of bench
testing, make sure you secure it down somehow, mine really wanted to move
somewhere other than where I had it laying down! Lol.

Other notes: not sure if I addressed this in my first message but this fan
is pretty quiet. Maybe it's just my duals but it seems quieter than the fan
in my sister's Intrepid she had. So it is by far a lot quieter than a stock
engine driven fan.

That's all for now.

Travis
'92 Dak 5.2 4x4