Re: 1999 Dakota Solid Axle Swap

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 00:12:22 EDT

On Aug 9, 2004, at 21:51, Terrible Tom wrote:

> Have you made plans or considerations for the crossmember that must
> clear the front drive shaft? Seeing Squires' truck again, I saw the
> nice job they did notching and reinforcing the crossmember to let the
> shaft clear. I figure you could do something almost identical to that
> correct?

That's the first thing I did. I considered notching the existing
crossmember like that, but decided to build a new one instead mainly
because I didn't think that I could keep the original piece strong
enough to be comfortable with. The new crossmember is also serving as
the anchor point for my track bars.

I just borrowed a replacement digicam, so there will be pics from now
on (still haven't dropped off the film camera....)

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360