Re: 1999 Dakota Solid Axle Swap

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 21:51:00 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2004, at 13:11, Terrible Tom wrote:
>
>> http://www.4x4wire.com/feature/99dakota/solidaxleswap/
>>
>> Loren Squires - that was the guy I couldn't think of at the BBQ, who
>> did a SAS with leaf spring packs. Dunno if you've seen this project
>> truck before Mike, I'm betting you have.
>

> actually I hadn't seen that one before.
>
> I've got to say that the 33s are far too small for that amount of lift
> (unless they're 35s and it wants 39.5s). nice huge lift blocks in the
> rear too.

Yeah those tires are way too small. Keep in mind that conversion was
done almost 4 years ago and 4x4wire never did a follow up. The truck
was "almost" complete at the time of writing.

>> the approach Loren took with the springs seems to me, more straight
>> forward, than having to figure out the numbers involved in a coil
>> spring set up
>

> I'm aiming for at least 2" shorter than that. I'm going to set my
> bumpstops to keep the axle out of my oil pan and go from there. low CG < *

Yup low CG is the way to go - with as much ground clearence as possible.
  Too many guys, and I see so many examples of them around here, jack
their trucks up hella too high, and they look like they could be knocked
over in a gentle breeze. they don't seem to get the idea that TOO MUCH
SUSPENSION IS NOT A GOOD THING!

Also...

Have you made plans or considerations for the crossmember that must
clear the front drive shaft? Seeing Squires' truck again, I saw the
nice job they did notching and reinforcing the crossmember to let the
shaft clear. I figure you could do something almost identical to that
correct?