Re: 1999 Dakota Solid Axle Swap

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 03:07:41 EDT

On Aug 10, 2004, at 21:56, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Yep, Mike has been ransaking my precious, precious metal
> rack <sniff> (also known as "Jon's pile of cool stuff which
> hasn't been built yet") for crossmember bits. :-)

don't worry - I'll be adding to it too!

> Unfortunately,
> he was a naughty boy and welded the outer frame rail brackets
> on before the inner ones, so now he has a fun game ahead of
> himself which I shall call "find the threaded holes through the
> 1/4" steel plate" ;-)

I've been thinking about that. I'm not sure how much strength those
little 10mm bolts are going to add anyway.... and I need to add a
spacer between those inner mounts and the outer mounts too - was
thinking 3/4" Al plate, since that's about how much space I need and it
wouldn't suck to shape & drill. but bling, bling, bling. I'm
expecting that to be relatively $pendy. And then there's my other more
recent consideration: I've got 4 grade 8 1/2" bolts on each side. Just
how much strength will 4 10mm bolts add?

assuming I'm remembering 10mm correctly (I brought one of those bolts
back with me so I could get it's size, but it got used to jurry rig a
plug in a breather line of another Jeep two weekends ago) 4 grade 10.9
10mm bolts would add about 10,000# shear capacity each to the
pre-existing 4*17870=71480#. So they'd add about 36% in pure shear
capacity..... more than I expected, but probably not extra capacity
that I need. On the other hand, the brackets are already cut.

too much tangent. my point is.... lacking. screw thinking - g'night.
  I might be down for a couple days tomorrow, Jon, FYI.

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife