Re: daily setback

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 22:10:12 EDT

Hey, Mike

<snip> one of the caliper key bolt holes has a tap broken off in it.
 it's about an inch long, quite rusted, in a cast caliper bracket...
 I'm going to let that tap soak in PB for quite a while<snip>

If you have drift or a pin punch laying around in the hangar, you may be
able to rap on the remains of the tap & shatter it. Most of them are one
form of HSS or another & HSS is verrrry brittle & doesn't take to impact
well.
The down side to this method is that castings are also brittle & can shatter
8-(
There are some carbide taps on the market, but I doubt that's the case if
it's rusty...
If the PB gets it somewhat freed up, a local industrial supply store may
have an "E-Z-Out" tap remover...I've used them with moderate success...the
smaller ones (1/4-20 or M6) tend to trash themselves before they do any
good, but the larger ones work fairly well...
Either way, I'd get a helicoil set & re-tap & insert the hole before
reassembly...
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(out comes the machinist in me - again!)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed

WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/