Re: Re: daily SAS update

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 02:11:59 EDT

On Aug 14, 2004, at 18:07, Russell Yee wrote:

> I haven't been following your build too closely, but what front axle
> are you
> using?

it's a '78 Ford D44 low pinion, and it's the axle from hell. I'm
*never* buying another large part sight unseen.

> You should be able to separate the knuckle from the spindle with a
> long drift or cold chisel.

that would be in theory. in practice, it seems to be rusted and seized
on like nothing I've ever seen. I also don't know the internal shapes
of the mating surfaces I'm dealing with, so I'm at a disadvantage when
trying to figure out what's best to heat pound and pry.

> As for the broken tap, I'd use a combo of
> heating the caliper bracket and a ez-out. Go easy on the heat (don't
> cherry
> it), and don't try to torch the tap out or you'll warp the bracket
> (ask me
> how I know).. Hopefully you'll be able to break the tap free and use
> the
> EZ-Out to do the rest. If you mung up the hole you can either weld it
> and
> re tap or use a heli-coil (recommend the latter - it sucks drilling &
> tapping through weldment).

I've got a heli-coil kit for the hole already. Haven't found a tap
easy out yet though, since I started looking after 5pm friday =)

Depending on what the machine $hop tell$ me, I might ju$t let them take
care of it for me. If I don't like what they have to $ay about the
project, I'll give it a try and my$elf.

it's good to know that those castings can warp. I'll make sure
everything is still true before I put it together. Thankfully I didn't
get anything other than the ball joints to cherry while I was torching
today. but that grease and teflon sure sooted everything up nicely!

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360