Re: trans or differential whine ?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 00:30:28 EDT

On Aug 17, 2004, at 21:01, victor.williams@byers.com wrote:

> I've started to hear a whine when my Dak is accelerating or under any
> load..
> It occurs in all gears ( NV3500 high mileage ) but most noticable when
> in
> 5th gear crusing 60 - 75 mph.
>
> How can I tell if it's the differential or the transmission? I
> flushed out
> differential last weekend but no change.

   I was just reading on RCC about a possible diagnosis. block the
front wheels, put everything in neutral and jack up the back. if it
makes noise when you spin the tires, it's the diff. then put the tcase
in gear. if it makes noise when you spin the tires, it's the tcase.
then put the trans in gear. if it makes noise when you spin the tires,
it's the trans.

   My RamCharger would also like to know the answer to this question -
it's making noise like a bad planetary somewhere. So far the noise
hasn't changed since it started making it (which was within a week of
changing all fluids), so I'm still driving with fingers crossed really
hard. At least now I've got AAA so when it goes :nuke: it's a free
tow.....

   Of course I've got the TF727 3 speed auto in there, so I can't just
"put it in gear", and it's also only making the noise under load, so I
don't know if I'll hear anything from the above method or not. But
hopefully you will!

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'84 RamCharger Daily Driver       '98 Dakota under the knife