Re: trans or differential whine ?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 01:27:52 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Aug 17, 2004, at 21:01, victor.williams@byers.com wrote:
:> I've started to hear a whine when my Dak is accelerating or under any
:> load..
:> It occurs in all gears ( NV3500 high mileage ) but most noticable when
:> in
:> 5th gear crusing 60 - 75 mph.
:>
:> How can I tell if it's the differential or the transmission? I
:> flushed out
:> differential last weekend but no change.

: I was just reading on RCC about a possible diagnosis. block the
: front wheels, put everything in neutral and jack up the back. if it
: makes noise when you spin the tires, it's the diff. then put the tcase
: in gear. if it makes noise when you spin the tires, it's the tcase.
: then put the trans in gear. if it makes noise when you spin the tires,
: it's the trans.

   That was my initial thought as well, but I think that even with
the trans (and/or t-case, though I think Victor's truck is a 2wd,
so that is one less variable) in neutral, it would still be possible
for noise to come from either of those if the culprit was an input or
output bearing which would spin even in neutral.

  I do still think its important to check for a noise difference
in neutral though (and also clutch engaged/disengaged) since if the
noise does appear only in gear, its a very good indication of the
trans as the source; its just that a constant noise regardless of
gear still doesn't completely rule out the trans.

: My RamCharger would also like to know the answer to this question -
: it's making noise like a bad planetary somewhere. So far the noise
: hasn't changed since it started making it (which was within a week of
: changing all fluids), so I'm still driving with fingers crossed really
: hard. At least now I've got AAA so when it goes :nuke: it's a free

   IIRC, you used type F? Are you sure it didn't have ATF+3 before?
(Sure hope its not incompatible fluids fighting it out in there.) :-)
Maybe it had a sentimental attachment to that dirty, old fluid and
is mad at you for force feeding it the nice clean stuff. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'