Chip Seal road surface (was: daily SAS update)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 01:49:19 EDT

"Neil W. Bellenger" <neil624b@rochester.rr.com> wrote:
[...]
: The "technical" term is chip seal.

  Thanks, Neil! At least I know what to call it now. :-)

: Oil and then crushed stone. The crew is supposed to return in a few
: weeks to sweep up the stones that don't bond. Sometimes they do,
: sometimes they don't.

   That would be nice; I've never seen them do that on our road
though (granted, this would probably be an easy thing to miss).
I was actually wishing at the time that I had one of those
PTO driven rotary brushes for a tractor, like they use to prepare
the surface of the dragstrip. :-) I did go out to the road and
just brush the surface with my hand, and imediately was rewarded
with a handful of tar. :-P Either the oil oozes up practically
to the top, or its not a very thick layer to begin with. (I
was thinking about sweeping some of the stone into a hole in
my driveway, but I decided the hole was less annoying than a
tar pit in front of my house. ;-)

: This type of surface, when new, is the leading cause of stone damage to
: vehicles.
: There was tremendous outcry about ten years ago when the city of
: Rochester decided to chip seal several miles of side streets as a cost
: cutter instead of using asphalt.
: "This is the CITY, not some rural Podunk" was one of the best that could
: be printed.

  Heh! :-) I do have to admit, that once it gets packed down,
it makes a perfectly acceptable road surface, but until then
its a pretty major hassle! What is even more annoying in my
case is that there are a few spots on my road where, when I am
driving the cuda, I have to slow down to 30-40mph (depending on
the particular spot) or else the car will bottom out and give my
oil pan skidplate a workout. It is quite a study in frustration
to be driving a macho musclecar with 440+ cubic inches of rumble
under the hood at 30mph over little bumps in the road while the
Festivas and mopeds behind you weave from side to side, jockeying
for a passing position. ;-) Granted, this problem is partially
brought on by the configuration of that particular car, but at
least one of the spots is a real bone jarrer, no matter what car
you're driving if you hit it at 55mph. I would have thought they
would have fixed that spot at the very least, but no such luck.
They filled in a couple of potholes before laying down the chip
seal, but that was the extent of their road repair. :-P

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'