Re: Vortech Reliability?

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 11:47:59 EDT

"TJ Goettner"" <dakota52318@toad.net> wrote in message

> I was thinking about switching out my pulley out to run 10 pounds of
boost,
> but I called vortech and they said that it would void the remainding 8
> months that I have on my factory warenty. Have any of you heard about or
> have had any problems with your vortech?
>
> TJ

I ran a vortech s-trim on my five-liter mustang in the past. Upping the
boost beyond the max rated caused the blower to destroy itself internally
and throw all sorts of metal into my oil pan and intake which in turn blew
up the motor. That was the death of the second 302 that made my 351 swap
possible....

If it's a brand new blower, you could probably get away with it for a while,
but I wouldn't push it. Mine only held up at the increased boost pressure
for about a week. Maximum ratings are there for a reason, IMHO. Of course
as usual, YMMV.

Just out of curiosity, what boost pressure are you running now?

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L