Re: help me start my truck

From: werlax@hotmail.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 14:47:29 EDT

"Tony Cellana" wrote:
> The crank damper on a Magnum has marks every 90*. Pick a mark, any
> mark. Finger tighten ALL rocker adjusters to JUST snug. This is zero
> lash. Rotate the crank (see note below) 1/4 turn, finger tighten them
> ALL again. Repeat for 2 FULL rotations of the crank. This process
> doesn't care about TDC on any cylinder, and by rotating the crank,
> you will end up hitting all cylinders at the low spot on the cam
> during the process.

Great description Tony. Thanks. So, just counting in my head, the number
of times that I will finger tighten the adjusters is 9 times. Correct?
I'll mark the scribed line in the damper with a piece of chalk since I know
I'd lose count. :) Then, I don't have to rotate the engine any further
after that? Just tighten the allen bolts to keep it all locked up and away
I go? It makes sense in my head. I imagine that, depending upon the
location of the pushrod on the lobe, I will sometimes not be able to tighten
the adjusters because the spring will be compressed. Other times I will be
able to tighten them because it's then on the back of the lobe so the
tension will have released and I can then finger tighten it. In the end, a
1/2 turn is a 1/2 turn, regardless of the position of the cam at the time.
Thanks much! I'll be trying it in about an hour or so and I'll hopefully
have my truck running shortly after that. I'll post my success tonight. :)
Mark