Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help me start my truck

From: Tony Cellana (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 14:33:55 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: werlax@hotmail.com <werlax@hotmail.com>
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
<dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 1:19 PM
Subject: DML: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: help me start my truck

>"Tony Cellana" wrote:
>> The way I do my RRs has never failed me. Install all adjusters finger
>> tight. Rotate engine 1/4 turn retighten finger tight. Do this for 2
>> full rotations of the motor. Then go an additional 1/2 turn on the
>> adjuster sleeve (or as directed by instructions), and tighten the
>> allen set screw.
>>
>I'm curious about this method. Do you start your initial finger tightening
>at TDC, or just anywhere? I was told I should find the point at which the
>pushrod is on the back of the cam lobe and do my adjustment from there.
>Tighten the adjustment bolt down until the pushrod stops spinning and then
>1/2 turn from that point. The issue with this method is that I have to
turn
>the engine for each rocker, making sure I have it turned to the proper
>point. Your way sounds easier, so I'm wondering what the final difference
>would be between the two methods.
>Thanks again,
>Mark

There is no difference in the end. Just follow the directions I've laid
out. Very simple, starightforward, and no special knowledge of cam timing
is required.

The crank damper on a Magnum has marks every 90*. Pick a mark, any mark.
Finger tighten ALL rocker adjusters to JUST snug. This is zero lash.
Rotate the crank (see note below) 1/4 turn, finger tighten them ALL again.
Repeat for 2 FULL rotations of the crank. This process doesn't care about
TDC on any cylinder, and by rotating the crank, you will end up hitting all
cylinders at the low spot on the cam during the process.

This will be right around zero lash for all cylinders. Now read your
directions for the additional amount to snug them. This is usually 1/2 turn
additional on the adjuster.

Take a very little bit of LockTite (Red), and apply it to an adjuster set
screw. While holding the adjuster sleeve with an open end, tighten the
allen set screw to about 15 ft/lb (Wrist tight).

You can try to start it with the rocker covers off to verify. A little
messy, but you'll know it'll run and save the trouble of R&R on the valve
covers just in case.

Wipe down things, reinstall the valve covers. Cleanup and enjoy a frosty
beverage of choice.

NOTE: To rotate the crank, the preferred method is to put a breaker on the
crank pulley bolt. An alternative that is actually easier is to rotate the
engine backwards using the serp belt (there is no compression rotating this
way). And no special tools are needed.

TonyC