4.7 Injectors and stupid in-tank fuel filter

From: Mierzejwski, Robert J. (rmierzej@telcordia.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:35:43 EDT

I was the guy pulling P0300, 303 and 306 codes on my 2000 4.7 Dak. I picked
up a set of 8 Bosch replacements from fiveomotorsport and swapped them out
last night. I could not believe the amount of rusty sediment that poured out
of the fuel rail when I popped each old injector out. Some injectors were
just about fully packed with the stuff on the inlet, others not so bad.
Needless to say, the new injectors make it feel like I just strapped a
supercharger on.

I really wanted to pull the fuel pump and examine the sock to see if it's
still intact, but I've also read that this thing isn't exactly a 5 micron
filter. I have 45k miles on the truck and have never had a fuel injector
cleaning service performed. Should I have?

What would you do? I have some ideas ranging from installing a high pressure
inline filter under the truck after picking up the appropriate flare tool.
It's either that or pull the injectors ever 15k and clean them. Exactly how
would I clean them? I don't want to drop $250 on a new set of injectors
every 40k.

Bobby in NJ