Re: 4.7 Injectors and stupid in-tank fuel filter

From: andylevy@yahoo.com
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:47:45 EDT

In article
<7B762A7337179544B02B707FAC7F6F19060A97C9@rrc-its-exs03.mail.saic.com>,
rmierzej@telcordia.com ("Mierzejwski, Robert J.") writes:

> I was the guy pulling P0300, 303 and 306 codes on my 2000 4.7 Dak. I picked
> up a set of 8 Bosch replacements from fiveomotorsport and swapped them out
> last night. I could not believe the amount of rusty sediment that poured out
> of the fuel rail when I popped each old injector out. Some injectors were
> just about fully packed with the stuff on the inlet, others not so bad.
> Needless to say, the new injectors make it feel like I just strapped a
> supercharger on.
>
> I really wanted to pull the fuel pump and examine the sock to see if it's
> still intact, but I've also read that this thing isn't exactly a 5 micron
> filter. I have 45k miles on the truck and have never had a fuel injector
> cleaning service performed. Should I have?
>
> What would you do? I have some ideas ranging from installing a high pressure
> inline filter under the truck after picking up the appropriate flare tool.
> It's either that or pull the injectors ever 15k and clean them. Exactly how
> would I clean them? I don't want to drop $250 on a new set of injectors
> every 40k.

Rusty sediment? You have a PLASTIC gas tank. Time to start getting worried.
Where do you get your gas from? Can you disconnect the fuel line, run the pump
a few seconds and collect what comes out to see if you have clean fuel in the
tank?

Skip a "fuel injector cleaning" for now and just run a bottle of Techron every
3K, see how that works.