Re: Re: ask first, destroy later

From: werlax@hotmail.com
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 18:34:03 EDT

"Josh Battles" wrote:
> The last engine I took apart at over 100k miles still had the
> crosshatch on the cylinder walls, so I'm assuming your motor has had
> a pretty hard life. What kind of "look terrible" is it? Are the
> cylinder walls scored? Pics would help, I can host them for all to
> see if need be.

I posted some pics at http://tinyurl.com/6z732

The questions I have are mostly centered around how I should go about
cleaning this up, and also regarding the rockers. There doesn't appear to
be any damage from the valves luckily, but I'd like to do what I can prior
to putting the heads back on.
The rockers that I installed (from Comp Cams) sit directly on top of the
studs. In one picture I made sure to take a close up of the rocker on the
stud and the wear damage that was caused on the bottom of the rocker.
Granted, this damage was accelerated due to my tightening the adjusters too
much but it seems to me that this sort of wear would occur over time anyway.
If so, wouldn't this cause the rockers to loosen? I believe I have them in
correctly. I don't have the heads to show a pic of how I put them in, but
basically I used the studs to attach the guide plates and then put the
rocker over the studs.

For the heck of it, I also posted a few pics of the exterior of my Dak since
I haven't shown anyone before (excuse the dirt).

'97 Sport 4x4 w/ ~100K miles

Thanks for looking at the pics,
Mark