Re: ask first, destroy later

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 09:21:10 EDT

<werlax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cgm5s2$osp$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> So, given my recent learning experience (aka bending pushrods and valve
> stems), I thought I'd ask some other questions here first. :)
> I have the cylinder heads at the machine shop now, and I'm staring at my
> engine block and the mess that's visible. With nearly 100K miles on the
> engine, the piston heads look terrible along with the cylinder walls. In
> addition, there is a lot of water/antifreeze in the cylinder that must
have
> come out of the heads when they were removed. There is also the issue of
> removing the stuck on gasket material. What can I do to get all of this
> cleaned up before the heads come back in a few days?
> Thanks for any help,
> Mark

The last engine I took apart at over 100k miles still had the crosshatch on
the cylinder walls, so I'm assuming your motor has had a pretty hard life.
What kind of "look terrible" is it? Are the cylinder walls scored? Pics
would help, I can host them for all to see if need be. As far as the
antifreeze goes, just soak it up with some paper towels and then wipe
everything down with a coat of light oil. (air tool oil works well but you
can use regular motor oil if you like)

Depending on how damaged your cylinder walls are, you can take some fine
emery cloth and kinda go over everything inside there in a criss cross
pattern, turning the motor so that you can get the majority of the cylinder
walls. Be sure to blow the cylinders out with compressed air and wipe them
down with oil before turning the motor though. You don't want to chance any
of the sanding dust going into your motor.

The gasket material should just scrape off with a regular putty knife. Be
sure to get as much as possible and touch it up with some emery cloth if
needed.

Another potential problem that you might encounter as a result of having new
valves lapped into your heads would be excessive blowby. If your cylinder
walls are pretty scarred up and you put new valves into the motor, your
heads will be sealing a LOT better than they were before you added the new
valves. I've had friends who have done this and as a result had to re-ring
their motor about a month later (depending on (ab)usage) so it's going to be
a crapshoot for you, keep an eye out just in case.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L