Re: Coolant temperature sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 02:52:18 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
: "Jay & Dana" <jay&dana@telus.net> wrote:
: : For my 97, 318 it's the 2 wire sensor just to the right and back of the
: : T-stat housing. You mentioned 2 sensors here, don't tell me I have more
: : than 1 on my engine ;-) or is that just for the Gen II's.

: Yep, your '97 will only have the one sensor. '92-96 Dakotas have
: that sensor, plus another one which is a one wire sensor. Actually,
: the location you described is where the earlier trucks have the 1
: wire sensor, the 2 wire is on the far left/front of the manifold
: (as you are standing in front of the engine bay) over by the heater
: hose fittings.)

   I just wanted to post a correction to what I posted above
regarding the location of the coolant temp sensors. Since this
stuff *is* archived after all, I should probably make an effort
to be as correct as possible. :-) When I pulled the coolant temp
sensors in my '96 Dak and '92 Ram tonight, I noticed that on the
'92, the 2 wire sensor for the PCM was behind the thermostat housing,
where Jay's was on his '97, and the 1 wire for the gauge was
over near the heater hoses. This is the opposite of where they
were installed on my '96. So, from what we know from just
my 2 318s and Jay's '97, the coolant temp sensor for the PCM
has changed locations at least twice through the years. Since
it would appear to be somewhat problematic to say where a particular
sensor might be for a given model year, I guess the safest thing
to say is that the coolant temp sensors will either be just behind
and to the driver's side of the thermostat housing and/or on the
front passenger side of the intake manifold, near the heater hoses,
and that the way to verify for sure which sensor is where is to look
at the number of wires running to its connector. The 1 wire sensor
is for the in-cab gauge, and the 2 wire sensor is for the PCM.
(Starting in 1997, there is only one coolant temp sensor, and it
is a 2 wire.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'