Dangkota part II

From: spook (richardfiser@mchsi.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 08:41:09 EDT

>'98 Dakota, 3.9, auto, 4x2
>
>Not too long ago I had a problem with it where it would just shut down.
>Didn't matter if I was idling or accelerating. Turned out to be the
>crank sensor. Also, the coil and pickup coil were replaced. New plugs
>correctly gapped. New cap, rotor, IAC (cause the plunger got depressed)
>and battery. I still have a problem where she cranks for 3 to 5 seconds
>to start only when cold. Then it runs very rough for another 10 to 15
>seconds. then flattens right out and has very good driveability. After
>it is driven for a couple of minutes, then it'll start immediately. It
>isn't throwing any codes. Any ideas here. I've already put a few hundred
>dollars into it in the last month, albeit some needlessly, ie the pickup
>coil. Any ideas on this one? My wife is beginning to call our precious
>truck, "The Dangkota."
>
>--

I'm sure it is losing fuel pressure as it sits. Turn the key on 3 or 4 times and then it starts right up. Before I dig into it and do a new fuel pump, I read in the Haynes manual that there is a separate fuel pressure regulator with the fuel pump. Would this most likely be the culprit? Or IS the fuel pressure a part of the pump? The Haynes manual says it's separate but I've found this manual to have a few inaccuracies.