Re: Check Engine Light & Code P0442

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 10:25:55 EDT

"Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote in message
news:413518C0.7020207@aol.com...

> Friday 8/27/04, I was down in Chicago with the Ram, on my way back home
> to Point. I saw my check engine light was on and instantly I was in a
> bad mood. I made it over to an AutoOne and they pulled a code P0442 -
> "Evaporative Emission Control System, Small Leak Detected"

I drove with that code for about 3 months until it turned into P0445 (gross
evap leak) and then I replaced my fuel cap. $10 later, the problem was
solved and hasn't come back since. I did notice when I took the fuel cap
apart that the insides were pretty rusted and generally in a pretty poor
state. Might try replacing the fuel cap and go from there.

Oil filler caps aren't required, are they?

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L