Re: RE: Re: RE: sputter on start-up

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 15:35:36 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote:
: We can debate this all day if needed. There's theory, and then there's real
: world. You'd be surprised at some of the strange electrical issues we see
: on these vehicles.

   Trust me, I am fully aware of the difference between theory and
application. As a CS undergrad, I was extremely frustrated with
the professors and the way they were only theory - they never
dealt with real world applications. As such, I basically became
conditioned *against* theory, almost to the point where it became
detrimental, but fortunately I came to realise that it is important
to maintain a balance. (The other end of the spectrum is a dangerous
place to be as well - this is the realm of ignorance, superstition
and "old wives tales".)

   That doesn't really apply in this case anyway; saying that thread
sealant on the 2 wire coolant temp sensor (CTS) can affect the
readings makes about the same amount of sense as saying that driving
with your seat reclined too far back or with the radio set to a classic
rock station will cause errant CTS readings. The two things have
absolutely no relation to each other; in the extremely unlikely event
that such a relationship is discovered, it is an indication of a
problem (i.e. something is broken and needs to be fixed).

   If you want to agree to disagree, that's fine with me; I can
console myself with the thought that every now and then, an EE,
SAE type, (or heck - anyone with rudimentary electricity knowledge
for that matter) will be browsing through the DML archives,
stumble upon this thread and have themselves a good ol' fashioned
belly laugh. (Speaking of which, now might be a good time to start
using a .sig - perhaps something along the lines of "The opinions
of this employee do not necessarily reflect those of Allen Samuels
Dodge"...) ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'