Heater core lets go at 37,500..........need advice.

From: steve preston (steves287dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 20:45:04 EDT

Aw,yeah. This would happen to me!

The first thing I noticed,and this has been going on
for a while,is that much of the time when running my
air in defrost mode,I had to let the wipers
periodically clear off condensation at the bottom
middle part of the windshield.

Then my wife began to smell something bad,even though
I couldn`t smell it.

Lately,it has no longer been able to defog the middle
section of the windshield in the morning. I have to
use napkins to wipe it off so I can see. Running the
defroster at max cool keeps the entire windshield from
fogging up too bad,but if I add the slightest amount
of heat,the whole thing fogs up immediately.

Today,I could see a vapor coming out of the AC vents
as I drove,so I had to turn the AC off.

Tonight,my wife took the truck to the store,and she
saw the vapor also when she ran the AC. As she pulled
into the driveway in front of the house,the heater box
took a leak on her foot!

It must have been coolant that had rolled around a
little bit in there,because she said it was very
warm,but it didn`t burn her,thank God.

I called the dealer where I bought the truck,and told
them the heater core is leaking. They said they should
be able to get it covered under warranty,but that
dealership is about 100 miles away! (Note to self,next
time,buy from a local dealership to save from such
headaches in the future!)

It will not survive that long of a trip unless I
bypass the heater. So where exactly do the heater
hoses attach on the manifold? (I don`t have a manual
for it,and I do not want to make a mistake.) This is
a 2001 RC 4X4 w/4.7L automatic. Thank you. Steve P.