Re: help me start my truck

From: werlax@hotmail.com
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:56:53 EDT

"Tony Cellana" wrote:
>>> The way I do my RRs has never failed me. Install all adjusters
>>> finger tight. Rotate engine 1/4 turn retighten finger tight. Do
>>> this for 2 full rotations of the motor. Then go an additional 1/2
>>> turn on the adjuster sleeve (or as directed by instructions), and
>>> tighten the allen set screw.

Hey Tony. Thanks for the info. I finally got my truck back up and running.
I used your method of finger tightening the rockers while watching the
damper for 2 full rotations. Just to be on the safe side I then only turned
the adjusters 1/4 turn and started the engine. It fired right up (victory
dance!) but there was some tapping from the rockers. I shut it down and
turned it an additional 1/4... still some tapping sounds. I would try to
tighten them an additional 1/4 but it seemed that on some of them I wouldn't
have been able to turn them any further past the 1/2 turn even if I had
wanted to. Is this something that will work out over time? I haven't let
the truck run for more than a minute or so at a time. I've got the valve
covers off so I'm trying to avoid lots of oil everywhere. Is it safe to run
the truck for a couple of short trips to see if it stops tapping? Also,
just curious. With the valve covers off, the truck would stop running after
about 20 seconds or so. Is this some sort of sensor kicking in?
Thanks for any help!
Mark