Re: ball joint recall?

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 01:10:31 EDT

> | And related to another answer: what is the "intermediate
> steering| shaft" ? I couldn't find it in the FSM.
>
> It's the part you can see in the engine compartment above the
> steering box. What happens is the "slider" part wears and clunks
> around.

I'll go jiggle that around. Is the intermediate shaft the small
part between the lower shaft and the box, or is it the same as the
lower shaft?

I *have* had the steering column replaced, and other than getting
ever so gradually worse, the sound didn't change.

> | I have a similar bump on mine:
> |
> | Usually it happens when i am turning into a parking space and
> | braking. Sometimes just when i am driving and i do think it is
> | usually when i am straightening out.
> |
> | Not sure if i feel it in the brakes or not. I do feel it
> through| the floor. It's not a big thump (i am the only one that
> notices| it...)

> Do you get it going over speed bumps too?

It might happen over speed bumps, but not usually. It might just be
that the noise and/or jolt from going over a speed bump is enough to
cover it up, but i don't think so.

Well, i'll definitely go check out the shocks and steering shafts
this weekend.

This bump (i have been calling it a "clunk") has been driving me
nuts. When i saw that the upper control arm bushings were shot, i
thought that might be it. Under warranty, i took it to the dealer,
and they replaced the control arms. I specifically told them about
the clunk, but they didn't find anything, and i can't quite get it
to repeat itself.

It'll happen going into my driveway, i'll back up and repeat the
motion: nothing. Drive around the block, do it again, still
nothing. Next day, maybe maybe not.

Thanks for the "things to check", people. Hopefully Sam (CSB) gets
some use out of all this, too...

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318