Re: ball joint recall?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 01:44:11 EDT

Eric Huff wrote:
>>| And related to another answer: what is the "intermediate
>>steering| shaft" ? I couldn't find it in the FSM.
>>
>>It's the part you can see in the engine compartment above the
>>steering box. What happens is the "slider" part wears and clunks
>>around.
>

> I'll go jiggle that around. Is the intermediate shaft the small
> part between the lower shaft and the box, or is it the same as the
> lower shaft?

It's the piece that will be right in front of your nose when you open up
the hood and look on the other side of the firewall from the steering
wheel. I periodically spray the joint on mine with some silicone spray
to keep it from squeaking. It's started squeaking a couple of times
since I had the truck, and that always solved it so I now do that regularly.

I would check right around that joint, since that's the place where
there's the most possibility for motion in the shaft. Just follow the
steering shaft from the firewall down and you'll see the area I'm
talking about.

-Bill