Re: 99 5.2 Dakota rattle

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 09:21:29 EDT

""Matt"" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nice email address....

> So I should call in the vet? Aside from replacing the Converter or taking
it
> in, is there a way for me to check if the Converter is going bad? I am a
> very amateur mechanic with limited toolset. The prized possessions include
> an OBD reader and Chilton's manual for the truck. I was hoping this was
> something I would be able to diagnose and fix.

I'd say that it's definately time to find a good vet in your area. If it
sounds like marbles in a can or a severly rattling heat shield, I'd say it's
time to get it replaced. I don't know how to check it for function, but by
the sound of it, I'd say that you probably won't pass any emissions tests in
the near future.

> Mileage: 150K, give or take a few (I can get an accurate figure if you
> like). I always have the trip od on as I'm in denial with how many miles I
> put on it.

I've got my camera ready, I think I'll roll 66,666 miles this week....

> This noise just doesn't sound good. Last night on my way home it sounded
> like the wheel was going to come off with all the crunching noise. My
first
> thought was that the noise was coming from the front passenger wheel.
> However, it handles fine with no vibration or anything.

Hmmm... If you raise the truck and try to wiggle the wheel in all
directions, what happens?

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L