Re: 99 5.2 Dakota rattle

From: Matt (someone@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 08:33:51 EDT

So I should call in the vet? Aside from replacing the Converter or taking it
in, is there a way for me to check if the Converter is going bad? I am a
very amateur mechanic with limited toolset. The prized possessions include
an OBD reader and Chilton's manual for the truck. I was hoping this was
something I would be able to diagnose and fix.

Mileage: 150K, give or take a few (I can get an accurate figure if you
like). I always have the trip od on as I'm in denial with how many miles I
put on it.

The wife hasn't pulled her 2-horse trailer with it in about a year, prior to
that we seemed to constantly be hauling wood or horses. It's been a nice
vehicle aside from the occasional blown sensor and routine front end work
from heavy duty usage. In the past year it's only been used to get me
to/from work, and I travel to the office 1 or 2 days a week (65mi round
trip). Otherwise I and the truck are at home.

This noise just doesn't sound good. Last night on my way home it sounded
like the wheel was going to come off with all the crunching noise. My first
thought was that the noise was coming from the front passenger wheel.
However, it handles fine with no vibration or anything.

Thanks for the feedback and any other info.