RE: Need pics/INFO of Lowered Daks

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 21:24:09 EDT

>Wheels and tires usually don't have fitment problems if your just changing
>out the springs. Your not changing any geometry, just moving the starting
>point.

Sort of. Shorter springs do change the (static) geometry, but it is the
same as the stock suspension under compression however many inches you go
down. Getting dropped spindles is the only way to not change geometry at
all. Front track width will likely be **slightly** wider than stock. Never
dropped a Dak though, so I don't know how big of a deal that is.

>With patience you can handle better than a Camaro and Mustang, trust me.

The original Viper's suspension was based on a modified Dakota suspension.
So..yup! :-)

>Nothing wrong with blocks. Just get ones that won't crack. Swapping in
>stiffer leaf springs would be beneficial too.

Only problem with blocks is even the good ones increase wheel hop by giving
the springs less leverage on the axle (less control). Depending on how low
you go you may run into driveline vibes due to pinion angle changes. You
don't want your springs to be too stiff though, it will hurt hook up and
your desire to drive it every day may decrease, lol.

>I can't get much more specific without knowing details.
>
>What truck/engine? Is it the 4x4 longbed in your signature? I don't know
>what to do with a 4x4.

I haven't been following closely but I think he's taking the body and
drivetrain out of his longbed and putting it on a 2x4 frame.

Travis
'92 Dakota 5.2 4x4