Re: Re: RE: Re: "Sir" Bill and Ivan's aftermath

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 01:49:14 EDT

On Sep 16, 2004, at 23:42, Tony Cellana wrote:

> There are 3 major East West roads thru Pensacola I-10, Ste routes 98
> and 90.
> ALL are currently shut down. I KNOW I-10 has had portions of the span
> knocked into the bay. Not sure about the others.
>
> 98 is closest to the gulf, but it is a newer and higher off the water
> bridge. Just quite a ways out of the way. But, I'll deal with
> whatever
> route is open. It won't be I-10. I expect they will replace the
> entire
> bridge in the long term with the possibility of fixing the deck in the
> short.

You won't be taking 98 either. The Weather Channel was along for a
ride in a Duece responding to a reported gas leak and they were taking
98 along the coast. Parts of it were still underwater, the southern
lanes (eastbound) were completely washed away and 2/3 of the northern
lanes were still there, with their edges badly undercut. They didn't
say where they actually were when they reached the break in the
roadway, but they showed a span at least 50 yards across with some
*major* current running back out towards the gulf where the road should
have been.

Hopefully 90 fared a bit better.

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360